Sunday, March 27, 2011

Spring 2011 has begun...

Hello, Today was my orientation with the field school i'll be attending this Spring 2011. I'm heading to Nepal for a practicum experience and I am thrilled to be going somewhere different. I just hope I remember that once I get there :) I'll be taking a short flight from to Vancouver where I will board a plane in the early morning to Hong Kong where I'll live in the airport... Then its off to Kathmandu!!! This experience is going to have me challening my own personal levels of comfort. I'll be living with my 7 other class mates (6 gals and one gent) and there will be a cook!!! The orientation today had our field instructors telling us to be good, the nurse told us not to "do it" (honestly an educational experience I liked her stories and she got a few people to share some good ones by asking if we had any) and finally the counsellor came in and asked us some really good questions about our values and goals and to keep in mind that stress may be a factor and to recognize it before its too late!!! I hope Kathmandu has a treadmill.... After the practicum experience with the Kathmandu community, school, orphanage and community projects we will head to Chitwan National Park. This experience will allow us to enjoy the lavish wild life and land of Nepal, something I will have to share with you all through pictures and stories as they happen... Wifi isn't something that I can just walk into while staying in Nepal. I will blog as much as possible and hopefully share a positive experience that will challenge and excite me. I'm hoping the children in Nepal will be patient with me as I learn their language and customs work to climatize myself. Culture shock will be something I am not looking forward to but like my friend Sarah (UVIC student who is in my field study group) said: "It's something that's going to happen so deal with it." So true, i'm so happy my group is down to earth and friendly. I feel this is going to be a learning experience that i'll never forget and hopefully my group feels the same. Soo, The fundraiser IT'S ALL FOR NEPAL is still happening in Victoria Friday, April 15 at the Upper Deck and in Delta on Saturday, April 23. The website is something i'm working on but here it is!: My true hope is for the Children of Nepal to see their potential and have access to education, reading materials, and food. I'm going to bring toothbrushes and toothpaste and teach some kids how to brush their teeth with songs that practise the motions! haha really. I hope i'm this enthused during my experience because right now I feel pure anticipation!!!

No comments: